California Outdoor Hospitality Expo March 28, 2023
Math That Works Amenities = Rate + Occupancy
Kathleen has been at the forefront of Outdoor Hospitality since developing her first award-winning resort in 2003.
She has taken her highly praised hotel background and applied it to every aspect of the Outdoor Hospitality Industry.
Her “Outside the Tent” thinking is leading the industry in innovative management services including Revenue Management and Rate Yielding Models.
Kathleen has developed and managed at least 500 million dollars worth of park investments.
What Do We Mean By Resort Amenities
Resort amenities are the various facilities and services offered by an outdoor resort to enhance the experience and enjoyment of its guests. These amenities can vary widely depending on the type and size of the resort, its location, and its target audience.
Why It Matters!!
Resort Amenities can cost 10% of your target resort budget. If your all-in cost is 50M, this is 5M in Amenities.
Planning For Your Target Audience
Questions to ask-
- Who are my target audiences?
- Do they vary throughout the year?
- What enhances their stay, and will they pay more for it?
- Is it extra or Inclusive, or a mix of both?
- What is my ROI? Is it ancillary or increased ADR or a combination?
- Does it add to the perceived value of the experience?
Who Are My Target Audiences?
A target audience is a specific group of people who are the intended recipients of a particular message or product. The audience is the group of people who are most likely to be interested in, benefit from, or purchase the product or service being offered. A target audience is defined based on various factors such as age, gender, income, education, location, interests, and behavior.
- En Suites –Adds at least 50% to ADR
- Hotel type mattresses and bedding-Think Marriott
- Conditioned Spaces-Bathhouses and Cabins
- Hi Speed Internet-Basic Free-Paid Business Speed
- Coffee and cooking options-ALWAYS!! Even in Rustics
- Outdoor Kitchens-Low Budget –High perceived value
- Adventure packages-Partner with Local Vendors
- Exclusive Offerings-Find Your Niche
- Restaurants or Meal Delivery-Apps
Ethical Travel Is Good For the Earth and Good For Revenue
81% of adults would like to stay in a sustainable resort. Five years ago, this number was 62%.
Digital Nomads-Pay To Play Wi-Fi
With a growing demand for blending the flexibility of remote work with leisure travel, more than 40% of Gen-Z employees plan to take a “Workcation” (essentially, working while traveling— but not traveling for work and not taking PTO days for it) in 2022, according to data provided by Kayak.
EP or All Inclusive?
Based on our experience, hybrid model works best.
Pay To Play
- High speed, BASIC stable Wi-Fi-Charge for Premium
- Free Gym-Paid Group Exercise Classes
- Basic Food and Brown Bagged Lunches for Hikes
- Happy Hour or Cocktail Hour Social
- Basic Outfitting Supplies-Binoculars and Walking Sticks
- Propane Fire Pits
- Mid Stay Cleanings and Towels Airport Shuttle
- Private Activities and Tours Meals and Bar Services
- Wet Bar
- Guided hikes, tours or lessons Any spa services
- Private Lessons
- Off schedule limo service from airport Rental Cars
- Bike Rentals
- Ski and Surf Rentals